"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Friday, August 10, 2007

After the Storm

BREAKING NEWS:
I'm cleaning my bedroom.

Yes, I know. Amazing. Miraculous. Shut up. If I find Jimmy Hoffa in the wreckage, I'll let you know. Oh, and Chernobyl? Yeah, that's nothing compared to this disaster.

So anyway, I was cleaning today, and I came across my old diary. Not the nicest thing to find in my room, of course, considering my tumultuous past, but I read it anyway.

Bad idea.

There was a lot of memory trapped within the bindings of that little purple book. I have a highly selective memory, you see, and everything bad gets erased. So it was no picnic to stroll down a road splattered with the gore of my previous battles.

Lots of hurt. That's always fun.

But the thing was--I didn't react the way I usually do. I didn't just close the book and think for an hour. I wrote back.

I updated my little book, something I haven't done in two years. I added another three pages. I wrote until my hand hurt, writing quickly and effortlessly, trying my hardest to convey my emotions in words.

I wrote about everything. Everything that ran through my head. My dreams. My discoveries. My struggle to face reality. My struggle to find out what reality is in the first place. My internal conflict between what is right and what I thought was right. My inability to fend for myself in a world where self-defense is everything.

Every bit of pain or struggle I've felt in the past two years has been written down, to be remembered and read again. To be remembered.

I am not a coward. I can face my fears, my troubles, my memories. I can face my pain. I was once weak, once inexperienced, once a wuss. I was once dependent on the world around me to heal my wounds.

No more. I heal myself. I fix me. Arty fixes Arty. I will heal. I will be fixed. And I will be a coward no more.

Will you?

No comments: