"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Saturday, May 3, 2008

No Benefits for the Beneficiaries

Wandering down concrete walls of painted red and starlight blue
And I'm sneaking my way to the corner
Broken knees and broken hearts never shattered quite so nicely
I'm bound by my conscience and its constant pestering
Shouldn't have gone there
Shouldn't have done that
Shouldn't have said all those words that I did
Sleep my way through another raging, quiet night
And I'll wake up with scars on my dreams
Lit and burned with matches made of fear

I doubt the very existence that I have
Forget to write the song inside my head
Instead I plaster floors with sentences that have no meaning
And put a fraying, lying rug upon the swept-up dust
Bite my lip and pretend it's all clean and good
Try to ignore my conscience
Should've gone there
Should've done that
Should've said all those word that I didn't
Hang my long sleeves out to dry
Threaded with nights of sad, sad prayers
And hope that nobody steals them from me while I'm away.

No comments: