"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Cousins!

Just for fun, I decided to sit down and count how many cousins I have. You will never believe the numbers I came up with...

I have 20 first cousins. TWENTY. As in two-zero. That's a lot of chitlins.

Second cousins makes the list a bit scarier. I only counted the ones that I actually see on a semi-regular basis, cousins that I consider real family. The ones that send Christmas cards, ya know? Oh, and I didn't count the in-laws [cousins' spouses, of course].

That number stands at 34.

Weird, isn't it? And I know there's more. I rarely see both of my grandfathers' families, and if I can't remember their names I didn't count them... and then there's all of MR's family who I have yet to meet and remember...

Still, it's shocking. If I were to have a graduation party, oh, let's say tomorrow, I would have 54 cousins and their parents/grandparents frolicking about. And then you factor in their boyfriends, girlfriends, spouses, and friends...

Yeah, it's a huge number. Terrifying. The thought of a graduation party is an interesting concept. Of course, not all of them would attend for the entire time, and then there's always the family drama going on that slims down the stats a bit... But then those people will be replaced by neighbors, family friends, my friends, old teachers, etc.

Thank God I have almost two years left before the havoc begins. Not that I'll enjoy my graduation--I will enjoy that IMMENSELY. I'm just picturing the enormous crowd gathering around a food table in my gazebo...

Sigh. Gotta love family. Always here, always there, always growing... Gotta love 'em.

No comments: