"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Monday, August 20, 2007

Artemis

While I'm in a ranting mood, I figured I should say a little something more. I do talk a lot, don't I?

In case you haven't noticed, I go by Arty on this page. Short for Artemis. And I refer to my big sister as Thena--short for Athena.

Umm, pattern? Yeah. Greek goddesses, for the mildly clueless. :]

I chose Artemis for more than one reason, the same way my close friends chose their names.

Artemis just seemed right after I learned more of her story. Keeper of the moon, loyal twin sister to Apollo [lol we call him Paul :P], indestructible with a bow and arrow, stubborn and feisty yet mellow when necessary--on a less exaggerated [and more realistic] scale, that's me. I AM Artemis. There's no doubt it my mind that she's the goddess I would be.

And Thena is Athena. Aphrie is Aphrodite. Tia matches Hestia, Seph matches Persephone... Everything falls into place. Our characteristics, our strengths and weaknesses, all seem to coordinate with those of the goddesses we took a liking to. Thena "battles" strategically. Aphrie looks for beauty in everyone. Tia cares for family more than anyone I've ever met. Seph is very sensitive to the dead, just the way the queen of the underworld is. It all fits.

Until someone can prove me to be absolutely nothing like Artemis, I will take on her name in my writing. I will continue to look at the moon and wonder how it got there, what it all means. I will be a loyal sister. I will be stubborn and feisty when people try to mess with me. And I will hunt for reality with as much of a vengeance as Artemis had when she hunted with her bow and arrow in all the old stories. I will live up to my namesake.

Artemis Abigail Morgan. What a name. What a meaning. What a life I can expect to lead.

3 comments:

affirmedreality said...

Artemis has always been my favorite too. ^_^ That's so kool that you and your friends could be so like goddesses... It's so kool that you guys are actually interested in Greek culture. Most of my friends have nicknames from Final Fantasy, but it doesn't match our personalities at all.

Oh, a question, are you a junior?

Abby said...

Yep, I'm a junior. Almost done with high school! :D :D

affirmedreality said...

lucky... I hate being freshman...