"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Monday, August 20, 2007

To Those Like Me

I was reading someone else's blog, a girl who has commented on mine multiple times. She is fourteen, only two years younger than myself, and based on what she writes, I feel like I am reading something I could've written two years ago. It's uncanny.

I remember struggling with reality, even then. I remember the way it felt to be a writer in a world where good writers are few and far between. I remember feeling lost, feeling alone, facing high school and friend troubles without understanding why everything had to happen to me.

Hell, I still feel all of that. Every single day.

I offer now to everyone who feels this way some words of hope, words of experience. Because I've been there. I'm still there.

My words? Keep fighting.

Keep writing. Keep dreaming. Continue to work hard every single day to prove to the world that you mean business. Never forget that reality is only what you believe it to be, that the day you stop trying is the day the world will end.

Forget about those who have hurt you--forgive and move on. They'll never be worth your time nor your tears. Tell those who would see you crushed to stand aside. Make clear your opinions, but never be afraid to change your mind and apologize if you've been wrong.

Fear only fear--no person, no creature, no object can ever hold you back, because you are strong. You are brave. You are the one that the world has been waiting for, the single stone that will tip the scale. That which you once feared is now nothing to you, for you are the one who can conquer all.

And most of all, do not regret your mistakes. Don't regret the memories you made with those friends who let you down. Don't ever be ashamed to recall the fears you once had or the bad choices you've made. Anyone who tries to use your past to defeat you cannot win if you accept that past; the sword they reach for will be dulled and useless. You'll be the victor, as you should be.

The world is not fair, not nice, and not pretty--but we should try to be all three. ;]

No comments: