"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Half Past One on One

It's me versus the alibi
Hold your breath, and take me down
Somebody should be screaming
I'll pick the worst of two roads
And I'll bend the fork that binds them
Reflections in shallow spoons
Shallow pools
So much to see in such a short time

Your words wash over me
Cleansing and destructive
Steel wool on marshmallow
Step toward me, scared
Afraid to be awkward here
Eyes scan, left to right to left
And I'm waiting for your advance
Smile and wave, they said
Smile and wave

How are you? It's the worst
Possible question to ask
Because it always gets deceit for a reply
"Fine" works just fine
We'll both use that and skip
The formalities entirely
Save your breath, and take me down
Somebody should be screaming
But no soul dares speak

It's me versus the lies
And I've never been too clever.

No comments: