"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Ten Feet

I have known fear
In the dark corners that surround the well-lit plazas
Of warmth and radiance and gleam
I have seen the dim corridors that hold my hours of peril
The fluorescent lighting casts shadows on your face
And I have seen the panic in my eyes

I have known fear
In hearing your footsteps from behind me
The heavy, fearless tread you take
I have wandered through pointless paths to avoid you
So many faces are oblivious to my retreat
And I have seen your intentions in your eyes

I have known fear
In every word I should not have spoken
Every connection that I should not have made
I have struggled to keep you far from me
Amidst others' warnings, against others' blind hopes
And the same that see my fears in vain

But I have known fear
I have seen fear
I have felt fear
And the source, it seems
Is simply you.

No comments: