"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Monday, March 17, 2008

To Forget is to Forfeit, Isn't It?

Maybe I'm a little bit sentimental. Maybe I've spent too many hours wondering where you are and where you've been.

Or maybe I'm just as human as the next lost soul.

I'm having a hard time finding an emotion that I'm not familiar with. Nothing surprises me anymore, nothing. You cured me of any curiosity I may had felt toward emotional experiences.

I suppose, maybe, it's about endurance. Maybe I'm just supposed to push through whatever comes my way.

But what if there's no precedent for me to follow? Nobody to emulate, no preset path to wander down... I'm gasping for air in a vacuum and trying to swim through solid glass. It's not easy. So few people have done this before me; it's not what everyone thinks.

I can only blame you for part of it, but it's enough. Enough to make me angry with you.

Suppose, for a minute, that someone did that to you. Oh, wait... You can't suppose anything, can you? I remember, now.

I'm not weak. I'm not perfect. But I am fed up. I'm going to endure from now until the end of time, and you're never going to know how much my endurance has cost me.

So forget you. In reality, I may never be able to, but it helps to say it. Forget you. Forget you. Forget you.

Or, I guess... Love you. Tell me, why is that so much easier to say?

No comments: