"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Me and the Music

So as you all know, I play the piano. I'm sort of good, I guess--what with not having lessons since I was really little and all--but I struggle with some very basic things, like trills and nine-note stretches.

As I've said before, I have little hands. Disproportionately so. I can't really go nine notes and try to play other things at the same time. Eight is perfectly okay [I would be in really bad shape if I couldn't do the whole octave thing] but nine just hurts.

My hands are also the reason I can't play the guitar. Trust me, I've tried. My fingers don't wrap around far enough to reach the strings. I know, I know, people with little hands play instruments all the time... But when it hurts to strum a single chord, is it really worth it?

So I'll stick to my piano. I'm learning three new Beethoven songs [Sonatina in F, Moonlight Sonata, and the Turkish March] and I'm finding that this whole "learning" thing gets WAY easier over time. It used to be that it took me months to master a new piece, and I would have to sit and actually count the beats. Now it's more like a few weeks, and the rhythm comes more naturally.

Still, I'll never be pro, and I'll never write my own music. I just don't have that kind of musical ability. I can write the words to songs from dawn until dusk, but don't ask me to put a tune to it...

Back to the bottle drive [it's for my bro's DI team... I disappeared for a few minutes...].

No comments: