"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Same Old, Same Old

Every day is identical to the one before it. Every week runs the same exact way. Each year passes just like its precedents, never failing to bore me to tears with the endless monotony.

Does it ever change? Eventually, I'm hoping. Some day at 5:23 I won't be getting up for school. I won't jump into Aphrie's car at 6:55. And I won't spend seven hours locked in a building that has no windows.

How depressing. Not a single window. Sure, some of the doors have glass, and we've got a foggy skylight in the commons, but still... Depressing. When I get to school, it's dark; when I leave school, the sun is starting to set.

Last year it was worse. I'd go to school at 5:15 for morning swim practice [UGH] and I wouldn't leave until 6 pm because we had after-school practice [UGH again]. I wouldn't get a single moment of sunlight.

And people wonder why I'm an albino.

Today, fortunately, was a change of pace. We had a snow day [insert juvenile shouts of joy and terrible dancing]. I spent the majority of the day at the local mall with Thena and Aphrie, pretending to have cash in my pocket while trying on clothes I'll probably never buy. I did buy two books--not abnormal for me--so now I finally have something to read. It really sucks to be a fast reader; sooner or later, I run out of material.

Speaking of books, I just finished The Pact by Jodi Picoult. Not my usual read, considering that I've got my head up on a cloud and much prefer fantastical fiction, but it was very, very good. Better than I expected. It truly made me think, something I can appreciate when it comes to literature. If I don't have to use my brain, I don't want to read it.

I've now started Two Little Girls in Blue [another one that's not my normal type], Frankenstein, Blue is for Nightmares, A Countess Below Stairs, The Naming, Pride and Prejudice, and numerous others. I haven't decided which one I actually want to read, but as soon as I've hit the thirty-page mark in each of them, I'll know.

And now, I shall return to my average, boring, ordinary life, chock full of dullness and unoriginality. One more day until I shake things up a bit by attending a writers' convention with my grandfather; I'll let you all know how that goes.

Have a good one.

3 comments:

Ammietia (a girl you once knew) said...

>.< Someone else who understands how much it sucks to be a fast reader. I am consistently buying books or dreaming of buying books. It kills my budget.

One of the people in my math class saw The Sweet Far Thing as I pulled it out of my bag and gasped, wondering how I could read something like that. By then I was 3/4 done and I looked at it, seeing it as normal people would for the first time and shrugged. I finished it today.

Big books don't daunt me. Everyone else thinks I'm insane but they last a day or two longer than the rest and as long as the story keeps going on good, I'm fine with them.

Now to save up more money for more books.

~Ammietia

Abby said...

Yeah, quantity doesn't scare me, either. The longest book I've ever read--Atlas Shrugged--was 1084 pages, and it only took me ten days to finish. But then I started to reread and reread, like I always do...

I absolutely loved The Sweet Far Thing. Libba Bray has a style that I'm quite fond of, and Gemma is a great character. Very complex. I love that.

Budget? I don't have one of those. :P Well, I suppose it's impossible to have a budget when one has less than three dollars to their name... :]

Abby said...

Correction: Nine days. And by nine days, I mean days that allowed only about an hour.5 of reading time...