"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Friday, February 8, 2008

Lenten Issues

Like many other Catholics, I participate in Lent. Some years I make promises that really don't have meaning. This year, my dear friend Seph inspired me to do something more.

She and I both gave up meat for Lent. Shocked? You shouldn't be...

But it's been three days and I'm already struggling. Seph confessed that she cheated without even realizing it; avoiding meat takes Herculean effort. Seriously. I'm not really a salad person [I like vegetables, but not that much], so my diet now mainly consists all things not meaty and not lettuce-y. Not much in that category. I still find a way to eat like crazy, though.

It's hilarious when I think back to my swim days, when I could eat six meals a day and still lose ten pounds. Our coach gave us a nutrition pamphlet once that explained in detail how a swimmer should eat SEVEN THOUSAND CALORIES EACH DAY. In case you've been living in a cave for fifty years, that's 5,000 more calories than the average person's intake.

We tried to do that and failed miserably. There's just not enough food in the world to eat 7,000 calories.

We did go to Carrabba's once--they gave us a free meal for being undefeated in our division--and it was almost sad how much bread we ate. As soon as a basket would hit the table, it would be empty, and any girl with slow reflexes was totally screwed. I would wager that we hit the 5,000 calorie mark for that day. Maybe.

So funny. Slightly embarrassing to think back on, but still funny. Ah, good ol' swim days...

No comments: