"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Friday, February 15, 2008

Blackberries and Burns

So today I got the bright idea to make blueberry muffins from scratch. Shouldn't have been a big problem, seeing as I do quite a bit of baking, but apparently something was amiss. Sanity, perhaps.

I started out with eggs that spoiled on January 25th. Yikes. My grandparents were kind enough to save me from that terror.

Then I ran out of flour when I was only a cup away from being finished. Ugh. Again, I owe my grandparents.

I was also unaware that the berries I took to be blueberries--small and manageable--were actually enormous, unruly blackberries. Sigh. I suppose it tastes sort of that same. Similar, anyway.

Then my batch of mini muffins burned. The jumbo ones and regular-sized ones were okay, but the minis... Ew. Rock muffins.

And now, here I sit, my arm bandaged and painful because I'm the idiot who burns herself on a 400-degree oven rack.

Yeah. Ow. Hurts like [insert inappropriate word(s)]. I've put so much aloe on it that my arm smells like aloe, even though the stuff I've got is allegedly "odor free." Lack of smell is a scent, apparently. Oh, and Neosporin is wonderful, too...

I'm really hoping that this is not an indication of how my winter break is going to go. If I don't make it through the next school-free week, I'll be royally ticked.

No comments: