"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Technology... sucks.

Just because I've grown up in a world where everything revolves around technology doesn't mean I hate it any less than the people who have just recently discovered it existed. In fact, I could quite possibly hate it more, because I know exactly what it's capable of and I'm more than aware when it isn't functioning correctly.

Think it over. You've never used a fax machine. It's making a strangled beeping noise. You don't find it abnormal. But when you've used that same stupid machine seven hundred times and it makes a strangled beeping noise, you get ANGRY.

Mind you, I haven't used a fax machine in my entire life [let's try email, folks], but I figured an older example would better fit my particular need here.

Let's switch to cameras. I've used my digital camera maybe fifty times in past two years. That's a lot of pictures, if you count one "time" as each time I've turned the camera on and taken around twenty pictures. Like I said, lots of pictures. I like pictures.

But yesterday, when I sit down at my computer to perform the very simple task of loading those beautiful pictures into my Kodak software [NEVER PURCHASE KODAK], it decides that I'm no longer worthy of its services. It takes a vote with itself and determines that it will only load every third picture that I command it to look at.

Is it my fault? No, of course not. I followed the same exact procedure as every other time I've uploaded pictures. Plug it into the USB, plug it into my camera [my camera that's on and charged... I learned that the hard way about a year ago], and make sure the software's open. Three checks in three check boxes. I should've been good to go.

Um, no. I fought with my very stupid camera for over an hour before it came to me that I was going to explode if I didn't wait 24 hours before trying to load pictures again. Well, either explode or punt my camera into the nearest river... Both options were highly likely in my fury.

I severely threatened my camera and gave it a thorough talking-to, leaving it in time out until today. Not surprisingly, it didn't work on the first six tries. On the seventh, though, I finally got all of my pictures into my computer before it died, at which point I muttered bitterly under my breath and cursed the entire Kodak company.

Grr. I absolutely loathe technology.

No comments: