"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Solvation, Salvation...

I took a chemistry exam today, a part of which was heavily focused on solvation. For those of you who haven't learned [or don't remember], solvation is the process by which a solute is ionized in solution. The compound divides itself into its ions and the ions are then each surrounded by solvent. As an example, the ionization of NaCl in water: the compound becomes Na+ and Cl- and both sets of ions are surrounded by water.

We also were taught about colligative properties. Again, I clarify; colligative properties are simply certain properties that change for a substance when it is in an aqueous solution [freezing point, boiling point, and vapor pressure].

Yes, that sounds like a garbled mess of blahchemblah. That's what I thought, too.

But is it completely inapplicapable to me? No. I think about what I become when I'm in the water, someone completely different, someone who's not afraid. No, never afraid. I let the water take over, pull me under, and change me into someone else.

I don't think it's weird at all to respect water. It carries this... power, I guess we could call it, with it, as if it has a mind and is capable of thought. I'm not a crazy, I swear. I just love the water.

The moment I disappear beneath the surface, I can feel its power. I let myself relax, let my fear and worries and cares all drift away, and I focus on just gliding, moving...

I'm very much like that ionic compound, the one who divides in water and changes. I divide. I separate myself from the person I was on the surface, and I become braver, stronger.

Maybe I am crazy. But I still love the water, and I love the effect it has on me. It's the ultimate salvation, to be freed from my cares.

So that's what I was actually thinking about during my chem exam. Probably not a good thing, but hey--at least I understand the concept. :D

-Arty is [feeling intelligent for half a second, and] OUT.

No comments: