"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

September Makes Me Cry [a little]

I. HATE. SCHOOL.

Is there anything worse? Probably not. Let me give you a run-down of my absolutely terrible first day of eleventh grade. I'm trying to be positive, but if you had had this kind of day, you probably wouldn't be too nice either.

First hour: I walk in [almost as the bell rings, mind you, because my semi-moronic bus driver decided to sit on 19 mile until 7:10 and THEN drive to school] and sit down in Spanish IV. I read the board. Four pages of vocab.

Welcome back, students!

Second: AP Gov. Teacher is nice, but I'd be terrified to get on his bad side. And I already know that I won't like the course material. Total yuck.

Third: Honors English. I got an A on the summer homework [whew] but I am nauseated as I look at the upcoming tasks. It's all American Literature. And grammar lessons. How gross can you get?

Lunch was okay. Lots of freshmen who bought all the food and took up tons of tables. But that's okay, we'll put an end to that nonsense. At least Thena was in my lunch hour...

Fourth: AP Psych. Probably my new favorite class. Not only because I love learning about the human mind, but because it's not going to be as ridiculous as all my other classes. I will actually enjoy this one. Yay.

Fifth: Physics. Teacher wears a lab coat and only the really annoying kids talk. Maddy's in my class, but we're desks apart. Ought to be interesting [in a totally awful way...].

Sixth: AC Trig. Disko and Maddy are in my class, again, as are many other kiddles that I love. Teacher wasn't even there today, so we were entertained by a sub. For fifty-five minutes. Ugh. And we have two textbooks to haul around--ew?

Oh, and I got homework in every subject. Miraculously, I managed to finish Gov and Trig before school ended. But everything else came home with me. FOUR SUBJECTS OF HOMEWORK ON THE FIRST DAY.

Speaking of the ride home--Aphrie's car died as we were pulling out of the school driveway. We pulled into a park entrance, pushed the Cougar to the parking area, and called my dad [he was home, thank God] to bring his jumper cables. I was absolutely starving [shaking so bad I couldn't even write my name on my sixth hour work], dying in the heat, and completely irritated by the time he showed up. Pretty much ready to sit down and bawl my eyes out.

Cables didn't work--the battery was fine. In the words of my father, who tried everything he could, "either there's no spark or no fuel getting in." I don't know what that means, I don't speak Automobile, but apparently it is the equivalent of "the car isn't going to take you anywhere." So we locked up her car, left it in the park, and my dad drove us all home.

Like I said, ready to sit down and cry. I walked in the door, put on comfy clothes [jeans aren't good in the heat!], and ate frozen cookie dough straight from the container, not caring who saw me. I honestly don't care. I'm a compulsive fatty. Deal with it. :]

I went straight into homework after that. Oh, I lie--I did my 2.5 hours of homework after I complained to my mom on the phone for awhile. She didn't have the best day either, so it felt good for both of us to whine.

Good parts here:

My brother came home and told me all about his good day. He has the same six teachers I had in eighth grade--how creepy is that? Anyway, none of them said anything to him about being my brother, so he was happy. What a good kid.

My dad and I went school supply shopping, and I got some nice new stuff. Nothing like a bunch of new notebooks to brighten your day, eh? Yeah.

Now I'm sitting here, totally burned out, almost incapable of thinking clearly. I'd bet half my college fund that I'll have twice as much homework AND a few quizzes tomorrow. Oh, joy. All of my teachers droned on and on today about how "the demand this year is doubling" and "you're going to have to work harder than you've ever worked before" and yada yada yada. I nearly threw up. Do they sincerely think I'm capable of doubling my workload? Is anyone capable of that? News flash, teachers--your subject isn't any more important than anyone else's, and I actually do have five other classes to work for. If you all say you're being nice by only giving me a half hour of homework, that leaves me THREE WHOLE HOURS of homework a night. Thanks a ton.

Maybe I'll go read a sad book and cry until I fall asleep. It's nice being a girl, being able to get away with that kind of weak crap. Not that I enjoy feeling weak--I just like having the ability to cry. Some people are afraid of tears; I welcome them. Emotional release, you know?

Sigh. I hate high school. How many more days until graduation? Oh, that's right. Way too many.

1 comment:

Ammietia (a girl you once knew) said...

Poor Arty! I'd probably do the same thing as you if I got that much homework. I'm waiting for the teachers to start that. But it will be pie compared to next term. *sigh*

High school sucks.