"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Friday, September 21, 2007

Comin' Home

Tomorrow's the big day. Homecoming, I mean. I'll post pictures soon after [maybe... if they're decent].

I don't know if I'm more excited or exasperated. I know I'll have fun; I always do. But there is a small part of me that just doesn't quite understand it all. Yes, dancing is fun. Yes, it's nice to dress up sometimes and try to look pretty for a change. But it's all so superficial--the atmosphere, the pictures, the dates... Ugh.

I guess, once you've seen a deeper side of life, the superficial things lose their glamour. The petty, happy, high school traditions don't seem so important when you're thinking about life as a whole, the future, college, careers, relationships, the evil of the world...

I wish it was easy. I wish a lot of things, don't I? That's all I do, I wish. I sit around and make lots of pretty, superficial wishes, and then find myself to be disappointed when I realize that they're never going to come true.

If I could get rid of my deep side, I would. But I can't. I've earned this depth, this insight that makes me different from everyone else. I've lived through a lot to get to the intellectual point I'm at today.

Always remember that for every single thing you know that I don't, there's something I've come to understand that I would never wish upon you. For every fact you can trump me with, I've got an emotion you've never experienced.

I'm not superior. I'm not even really that intelligent. But I know things that I would never ask you to learn, things that can only be discovered by horrible means. Things I wish I didn't know.

Stay ignorant, and happy. Be superficial and giddy.

Happy homecoming, everyone.

No comments: