"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Saturday, May 10, 2008

"ComegoleftrighttunnelchutesitstayTARGETTHEA-FRAMEGOSHDARNIT"

Okay, here's my deal. I'm not an animal person. Yes, I like cats and dogs--I have two dogs, after all, and I had two cats at one point--but my interests are limited to specific types of dog and cat. Chihuahuas, for example, are not in my interest range. Not even a little bit.

This weekend is The Dog Show, one of my DI team's biggest fundraisers. From 7:30 to 4:30 today, my kiddles and I ran the rings at this dog agility contest, doing things like running leashes and fluffing chutes and raising/lowering jump bars. We begin again tomorrow at 7:30 and finish sometime around 5 or 6ish.

Shoot me. Seriously. Put me out of this misery, would you? I asked my mom to do it earlier, and she wouldn't...

It's not exactly difficult work, but it's tedious. I AM grateful that they donate as much as they do to our team, but that gratitude has no bearing whatsoever on my dislike for the show. Like I said, I like dogs, but these dog people are crazy.

Literally crazy, as in questionable insane. They're all nuts. I didn't think it was possible for a human being to love a dog more than another human, but apparently it's possible.

There are some that are really, REALLY nice. Some are downright sweet and kindhearted, and these nice people are a lot more grounded than the crazies. But then there are the psychotic trainers who sincerely believe that their dogs are their biological children.

My team and I make up what's called the "ring crew," but to the not-so-nice dog trainers we're simply somebody to chuck a leash at when a dog doesn't perform so well. I try not to let it hurt my feelings--they are crazy, after all, and couldn't possibly know any better--yet it's still sort of mean.

So now I'm exhausted, sunburned [a flamingo shade of pink, you might say], and wearing eau d'anxious Border Collie. It's great.

The good news? My team can go to Globals now...

1 comment:

Aerin said...

"[a flamingo shade of pink...]" that color was named sassy flamingo by my cousin and i :] <3