"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Sunday, January 6, 2008

Welcome Back, Agent Abby.

So I had school on Thursday and Friday, unlike so many surrounding districts in southeastern Michigan. I wasn't exactly pleased, considering the circumstances, but I decided to sally forth and deal.

Thursday was, well, sort of like drowning. I almost fell asleep in each of my first three hours. I start my day with Spanish, and that was interesting. Never try to conjugate verbs when you're half-dead. And then in my third hour, there's this girl I would just love to kick. Preferably in the face. As a normally non-violent person, my reaction to her stupidity often shocks me. It's just another everyday idiot, I tell myself patiently, hoping that maybe I won't strangle her right then and there...

Anyway, Friday came after Thursday, as it often does--every week, to be more precise. But it came and went without much delay, and I found myself quite content to lie still and stare at the ceiling for awhile when I came home. I couldn't sleep--no, it was far too early to do that--but I could just lie there. So I did.

I did what I do every other weekend. I took an enormous chunk out of my never-ending pile of homework [damn you to the deepest pit of hell, Physics] and spent some quality time with Aphrie and Thena. I need that time. Without it, I'm pretty much screwed.

And now, from where I sit, this next week looks a bit menacing. I have a test/quiz in every subject this week--along with two more ACT prep essays, ew--and somehow I have to find time next weekend to study for exams. Ick. If life gets any more busy, I'm going to have to bang my head against a wall periodically just to clear my mind...

Is there a solution? Ay, there's the classic catch. We spend all our lives working just so we can have free time later, only to discover that we worked throughout all of our free time.

We waste what we've got, don't we? We squander freedom on regimented fun.

From now on, I break the rules. I'll break them all. Today is mine.

No comments: