"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Thursday, January 17, 2008

"I've Got Essay All Over My Hands..."

Yes, my friends, it's that wonderful, special, beloved time of year. The time we high school students love to loathe. It's famous among us for its amazing power to separate the dedicated from the lazy, for finally bringing justice to those who didn't do a single assignment all semester and still managed to get an A.

Midterm exam week.

I have so far survived 4 of my 6 exams. The first day--Wednesday--was my easiest by far, consisting merely of Spanish IV and AP Gov. I totally owned those exams. Take that, AP curriculum!

The second day--today--was ironically my second hardest session. Honors English [two essays in 85 minutes] and AP Psych tried to destroy me slowly, but I made it through. When I walked into my Psych exam, my hands were absolutely covered in pencil from writing in English--hence the reason why I rushed to the hand sanitizer dispenser and exclaimed, "Argh! I've got essay all over my hands!" It was interesting.

But now I sit before my computer after studying Physics and AC Trig since 1:30 this afternoon. I got out of school at 10:22, got home at 10:45, went out to lunch with my father at 11, and then napped until 1:10. After that, I sold my soul to the gods of math and science, because tomorrow is THE hardest set of exams for me.

Maddy, RoyGBrown, Anakin, and I busted our bums for the vast majority of the day. With some minor exceptions [like eating, using the bathroom, playing ping-pong--the vitals] and just a few moments of extreme "sorry-my-train-just-flew-off-the-thought-track-and-went-careening-over-a-cliff," we were totally focused.

We read all of the past chapters of Trig and prepared our note cards for tomorrow. We went over all of our Physics notes and did example problems from every chapter. We even found time to breathe, too.

I'm very, very burned out. I'll be fine by tomorrow morning, of course--I'm quite productive under pressure--but by 10:22 I'll be ready to pull my hair out. I have a date with my pillow, my fleece blanket, my pajamas, and the couch at 11 AM; it's probably the only thought that will get me through the day.

Ah, high school. So ridiculous. If I live through tomorow, I'll post again soon.

No comments: