"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Back To My Roots [A Quick, Inexplicable Post]

Ah, country music. I love being able to say that I was raised strictly on country. Kenny Chesney, Garth Brooks, Johnny Cash, Tim McGraw, Hank Williams Jr, Faith Hill, Martina McBride and all the others filled my childhood with their sweet sounds. There were also rock influences, obviously, along with other genres, but country was what my radio played. I fall asleep to country music every night [99.5 WYCD, of course!] and I wouldn't have it any other way.

For awhile, I was on a no-country diet. I stuck to my alternative punk/rock and often felt the urge to throw something hiphop-esque in my CD player [back in the days of CDs... lol]. But when my friends--the same friends who absolutely loathed country music before--began to listen to country all the time, I felt out of the loop. I was reunited with my first musical love, and now I'm proud to say that I've found a balance between all the genres I enjoy.

So just for kicks and giggles, I felt like putting a link on here for one of the artists I've come to like recently. She's my age, and extremely talented. I've come to respect her simply because she's not afraid to put her name out there and give life a whirl. I commend her for her courage.

Her name's Taylor Swift. If you can't stand her, don't bother clicking the link. If you love her, you've probably heard all of these songs before. If you're curious [and you're not a country-hater], take a peek.

The songs aren't the full versions, but the snippets are still good. My recommendation? "Picture to Burn." Ever since I heard the third line, I was hooked:

So go and tell your friends that I'm obsessive and crazy
That's fine, I'll tell mine you're gay.

Ah, that makes me happy. :] Three cheers for post-breakup vengeance.

No comments: