"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

She Who Was Born to Carry the World

Try to see from my point of view for just a few minutes:

You're sitting there, minding your own business, when suddenly BAM! the world comes up and says, "Hey, wanna haul me around for awhile?"

You say sure [as if you have a choice] and before you can even read the fine print on the contract, you're suffocating.

All of the problems, puzzles, clues, evils, hints, tricks, and pains--it's all yours. Happy birthday.

Did I ever mention how difficult it is to feel all of your emotions? I finally figured out why I can feel them, too [though it has provided me no relief...]. It's good ol' synesthesia, acting up again. You feel an emotion, it registers as a color in my head, and my brain gets tricked into thinking that I'm feeling it...

More tricks. Ugh. Ew.

But that's how my days go, guys. I wake up after having vivid dreams [often the kind you would consider nightmares] only to find that the real world is no better. You're all so angry, so tense, so sad...

How am I to keep from going mad? I'm a mere human girl. I can't be supernatural. I can't be anything more than this.

And yet, I am. I have to be. Without you knowing it, I will bear your burdens and share your joys. I will be blessed on your good days and agonized on your bad.

A public service announcement for the Red Cross reads, "We've never chatted in the grocery store, but I will help save your life." I laughed when I read it, because it's just so damn ironic.

Welcome to my life, people. I'm only here to be a part of your lives, to save them if need be. I don't want gratitude [because I'm not even sure if I deserve it]. I don't want fame or fortune. I just want to be able to sit in a chair in a crowded room and feel only ONE set of emotions. My own.

I thought maybe that I was just really, really empathetic. Ha. I've learned all about empathy, and yet I've never seen anyone else react the way I do to another's pain or ecstasy.

I'm sorry, I'm ranting. But everyone was emotional in school today [for absolutely no reason whatsoever] and it's wearing me down.

Have a splendid day, world. Try to be happy--for everyone's sake.

No comments: