"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

If Only For Awhile

Last night, for the first time in what feels like ages, I was united with my two older sisters and my younger sister. The four of us spent the evening together, forgetting about all the stupid stuff that's been threatening to drive us apart.

For once, if only for a little while, I felt whole.

Cassie's entire life has been consumed by swimming, just as Pinks' has been devoured by work. Kailey got laid off [sorry, hon] and she and I drive to school together, so I see her often, but I very rarely get to see the other two. I see Maddy every single day in school, and usually on the weekends, too; if she'd been there last night, I would have been even more complete.

So I see Maddy and Kailey, no big deal. But seeing my older sisters--much less both at the same time--is a next-to-impossible feat, considering that my own life now consists solely of responsibilities.

School, homework, work, DI, college stuff, sleep. Shower and repeat frequently.

But yesterday night, totally undisturbed by all of those things, I got to see my sisters. Amazing. :]

People don't understand the driving power of sibling love. They're my sisters, so very much a part of me that it's almost hard to differentiate. I love them with all my heart, even when we're all under the influence of PMS and ready to kill each other. Even then.

Sisters for life, friends for longer. And that is what's going to keep me sane.

1 comment:

Ammietia (a girl you once knew) said...

I know how you feel. My "sisters" and I have been driven apart by everything going on, and we've just started trying to get together again. It feels so good to be back with them, and the feeling can last for a while afterwards, which is a perk.

I'm glad you got to be with your sisters.