"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Monday, September 22, 2008

Damnsel in Distress

Note the "n" there. Ha, ha. Irony. Sounds like "damn," get it?

Anyway.

I fall down. A lot. More than the average human should. I run into stationary objects, I collide with moving objects, I fall up and down stairs, I forget how to walk sometimes, and I take corners too sharply...and smack the entire side of my body on the door frame.

So I'm not exactly graceful, you might say. In fact, I'm the antithesis to any graceful action. I am the equal and opposite reaction that Newton warned us about. The clumsy little thing your mother warned you about.

But I would not call myself a "damsel in distress." See, the whole "in distress" part seems to imply that the damsel is not always in such a state. She doesn't usually trip over that crack in the sidewalk, only every now and then.

I trip over it every time. And I'm really no damsel--that implies elegance, and a certain desire to be saved from a tall tower by a handsomely ignorant prince.

Not a damsel. Just perpetually distressed.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Krista,

I regularly trip over the reflection on a tile floor! Not to mention misjudging how wide a door frame is and trying to take my shoulder off! :P

Youre not alone, my friend, not in the least...

- Emily :)