"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Thursday, November 15, 2007

What Doesn't Kill Me Will Only Make Me Stronger

After another long week, a week I sort of wish could already be over [oh, no, it's only Thursday...no satisfaction for me], I find myself wondering how I made it through this one. I'm sure it's a bit of a hyperbole to say that the events of the past week could have potentially "killed" me, but they were difficult all the same.

I woke up on Monday with a headache and stumbled out of bed, only to discover that nothing nice was waiting beyond my warm bedspread. Then there was Tuesday, and the first NHS meeting that we were almost late for. Then Wednesday, with my entire body screaming after dance because I can't seem to keep my knees in their sockets.

And now it's Thursday, and I'm just beginning to wonder if I'm going to be able to stay awake for the school day tomorrow.

My one hope, the singular truth that resounds repetitively in my mind, is that I know whatever I live through can never challenge me again. No matter the tests I face, the obstacles I hurdle, or the brick walls I run into, I will never have to be afraid of those kinds of challenges ever again.

I only have to survive each week once, and from that point on, I never have to encounter that same week ever again. It's like a horrible video game--you beat the first level, wipe the sweat from your brow, recall the difficult portions of the badly animated fight sequence, and thank the gods of Playstation [or whatever it is that's popular now] that you will never have to see that enemy ever again.

Except, unlike you lucky gamers out there, I don't get a pause button. I can't hit "restart" and just magically have all of my health, power, and energy back up at the maximum levels. I also don't get three tries to succeed; it's do it now--and do it right--or don't even bother.

I'd like a refund on this game, please. Oh, you only offer exchanges? I'll take something fun, something Disney or Frogger...

3 more school days until Thanksgiving. I can do this.

No comments: