"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Friday, November 2, 2007

It's Just... Unnatural.

I'm not perfect, and I'll be the first to admit it. I may have my strengths, but my weaknesses outnumber them greatly--VERY greatly.

However, I find it not only intellectually stimulating but also interesting to attempt something I am terrible at. I love a challenge, and I love beating a challenge even more.

So Aphrie and I decided to cook dinner today. We were both in a "cooking mood," and we found my untouched cookbooks in the cupboard. We cleared the plan with my mother [because I'm a good teenage daughter] and then ran to Kroger to pick up the ingredients I didn't have on hand [which happened to be almost all of them...]. An hour later, we had homemade manicotti on the table. And it was awesome.

Aphrie's good in the kitchen, and I'm not. But I really do try. Cooking is definitely not a natural habit for me; I can't accurately decipher the meaning behind how food tastes [WHY DO THESE COOKIES TASTE LIKE PASTE??], or properly estimate how much of something to add. In fact, I'm so terrible at making food that I have to read and reread the instructions on things like toaster waffles and Campbell's soup if I want to avoid disaster.

Like I said, it's unnatural. Yet I do realize that one day I will actually have to fend for myself, and that will involve cooking. I may even have to cook for OTHER PEOPLE [God bless their souls] and I don't feel like having a murder on my plate [ahaha food puns].

For now, I'll stick to easy things, like rice, or brownies from a box--which, ironically enough, I have found a way to mess up. Let's just pray we don't have another Monkey Bread '04 experience [why is the hallway filled with smoke?].

Have a good one, campers.

No comments: