"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Monday, November 19, 2007

A Tidal Rhythm

I'm sure it's been proposed before, and I'm sure you've heard it a thousand times. I'm almost positive that there is nothing new in my epiphany--as I have so loosely classified it--and perhaps you will find that you shall leave your computer feeling no different than you did when you sat down.

I truly do not care. You ought to know that by now. I write for the sake of writing, for relieving my mind of everyday stresses, the ones that fester and wallow within my soul until I come to the conclusion that I have found either a way to live soullessly or that I never had one in the first place.

Maybe I've been living that way my whole life. Maybe not.

But my epiphany--it concerns perpetual motion. The kind that science claims cannot exist. All things have an end! Nothing can last forever!

Ah, but there's my point! Right there, in the last line. You see it? You can sense it, too? Can you taste the answer on the tip of your tongue?

Nothing lasts forever. Nothing can go on perpetually. Nothing.

So many cannot comprehend why I prefer silence over sound, calm over calamity, peace over perplexity. It is not that I am simply adverse to the clashes, booms, and quakes of life; no, I am far too able to adapt to those to hate them. And seeing as I can find no real thing wrong with my brain--having not been sufficiently addled to leave me insane--I must conclude that I am merely introverted. Intrapersonal. Intrinsic.

If we are made into something by our interactions on this earth, then I do not see why I could not become nothing. That way, having been transformed into the most sincere and least selfish form of life, I could last forever.

I am not so naive as to suggest immortality. Do not think me foolish, for I know my mortal limits all too well. But if I were to effectively be nothing...

Obviously, there are flaws. A being, composed of mind and matter, could never actually be nothing. And being the furthest kind of creature from perfection, I am more than aware that this is a goal I will never be able to achieve.

But it's a nice thought. Cease to have a hold on the material things, and enter a world that is entirely your own. Release your grasp on anything but yourself, and you become something so much more fulfilling than your average human.

All this, coming from a silly, babbling teenage girl, may seem hard to tolerate. I do not ask for your tolerance. I do not even ask for your ear. You are free to go any time you so choose.

I, however, am trapped within myself, forced to think these strange, disconnected thoughts until the day my job here is finished. Naturally, that could take a hundred years more...

Until then, I am caught in these perpetual waves of change, time, and nothingness. If only I'd brought a life jacket...

No comments: