"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Fostering Love

My mom came home with a tragic story today, the kind that I just have to talk about on here. The kind that alters your perspective on life.

A kid in her class had to be taken away by Protective Services today, a little boy whose mother had left marks on his back. Big marks, the kind that could never be an accident. He and his two sisters were taken after school, off to who knows where...somewhere safe.

And I feel bad. Not because he's finally away from his mom--she doesn't deserve those kids--and not because it was Protective Services that took them--the people were really wonderful, my mom says--but because they're probably going to go through hell for the next few years.

They'll be put in foster care; who knows if those foster parents will treat them well? Who knows if they'll even be together? You hear about cases like this all the time, and it's never really bothered me so much.

But now it does. This little boy needs love and care and hope, not temporary homes. He needs someone who will tend to his particular emotional needs. I doubt he will get that.

So I've resolved. Remember how I talked about wanting to adopt kids later in life? Well, I still plan on that, but I think I also want to foster. I want to be able to give sets of siblings the kind of life they deserve. They're just kids--they shouldn't be screwed over just because their parents are terrible.

I want to help. I've never felt so strongly about something, never so passionate about wanting to get involved. I want to change this. I want to make a difference.

I have resolved, and once I'm resolved, I rarely change. Here I go...

2 comments:

Ammietia (a girl you once knew) said...

My friend's family fostered a few kids when she was younger. One of them they got really close to and when he was supposed to go back to his abusive parents, they fought for him and lost their foster-care license. Apparently now he is worse off.

I agree, it would be horrible to be a foster kid, changing homes and not knowing if your foster parents will love you.

Some parents just shouldn't have children. And children shouldn't live with abuse.

Abby said...

I agree that some people shouldn't have kids. I don't mean to sound like a communist, but I really believe that people should have to be approved to procreate.

But then, of course, the government would go crazy and ruin it, so I guess it's better off this way. I just wish some people had better discretion and didn't reproduce.