"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Average

The hardest part, for me, is the realization that it's not going to change.

This is life, as I've recently come to discover. The norm is, well, normal. This is it. "It" as in "all there is." As in "all-encompassing, everything."

It's not going to be different for me.

I have not led an extraordinary life. I am not an extraordinary person. I am normal, another number on a chart, and it's not going to get any more exciting from here.

There will be no rising action, no moment of suspense, no secret to reveal. There is no plot. This is life, and it is every bit as boring as I hoped it wouldn't be.

I will grow up. I will start a career. I will get married and raise children. I will live in a decent-sized house with a dog and cat and a fence around the yard. My biggest adventures will be to the corner grocery store and the pediatrician's office. I will pay bills every month and struggle for extra cash. My children--forever cursed to be like me--will do exactly as I do, and the legacy shall continue.

No dreams. No quests. Nothing even close to the stories I write.

Will I even have my stories? My books and characters? They're the most sane part of my life, as crazy as they all are. But will screaming toddlers and bickering adolescents allow me to maintain that little piece of sanity?

I'm not wishing away my life. I'm being realistic. Honestly, there's no chance that I'll be the kind of hero that I create in fiction. This time is not one for heroes and adventures...

So the hardest part, I suppose, is settling for "normal." For what life will be, instead of what I've always dreamt it would.

And it's harder than I ever thought it could be.

2 comments:

Aerin said...

you may not think you're extraordinary, but you can't know what other people think. you are the most interesting, loving, and brilliant person i have ever met, and i don't think anyone i meet in the future could ever surpass that. so what if it's impossible to create the type adventures fictional characters can have? we can create our own adventures right here<3

Abby said...

thanks, sis :] you made me feel quite a bit better...

idk about adventures here. down here in the heights, our biggest adventures are walking to 7-11 (and we all know how great that is!).

jk. we'll have fun. just not the quest kind :P