"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Monday, January 5, 2009

Understanding and Accepting Aren't the Same...but Close.

Every morning, I wake up and wonder where you are. Where you've gone. Are you happy there? What are you feeling right now?

The better question to ask, I suppose... Do they let you feel at all?

Do you smile in the morning, when you see something beautiful? Do you stand in front of the mirror and stare at your hair and sigh? You got lucky. You didn't inherit the curls and waves like I did...

No, you were always perfect. I miss that now.

What do you eat for breakfast? Toast? Do you cook? I know you were always good at cooking... Do you go to class anymore? Grab a purse--no, wait, a backpack, that's more like you--and head for school? Fill your notebooks with doodles and curly-cues?

I do.

Does anything bother you during the day? Do we cross your mind? Can you feel me thinking about you? I hope so, because I do. All the time.

Does he know your favorite color? Favorite animal? Favorite pastime? Part of me hopes he does, so that you two have something to talk about.

Where do you go for lunch? Who do you eat with? Do you smile, giggle, laugh? Are you allowed to do that?

What about dinner? Big family production? Lots of food, probably all things you could prepare... I can see it. I see it in my head, all the time.

Do you work? Do you play? Do you cry? Do you sing?

I ask because I miss you. I ask because I want things to be whole again. I ask because you were once a part of this puzzle, a puzzle I don't fit into very well. Not well at all, actually. I can't fill your gap--I'm the wrong size, wrong shape, wrong colors, wrong piece.

I ask because...well, because, for the first time in a long time, I'm starting to see you in a different light. A multi-faceted puzzle piece, with something on the other side. Something you kept hidden, to keep from being different.

Well, I'm different too. I just wish there were someone else around to be different with me.

2 comments:

Pinks said...

hi girly what is wrong what is going on? I hope that everything is ok and that this is just a poem.

Abby said...

More of a rant than a poem, but I'm a-ok. :]
lol don't worry mi rosita :P