"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Complimentation vs. Irritation

It's beyond frustrating. I'm sitting in Honors English [we classmates just call it Honors] and my ears are absolutely red. Not just red, but hotter than hell and nearing the point of spontaneous combustion.

I hate when it happens--it just kills me every time. I do something right, and the whole class reacts exactly as I fear that they would.

They go over the top. They literally "freak out." It's all "ooh why isn't she in AP 12 right now?" and "dang, girl" and such.

SO irritating.

You may think you're paying me this huge compliment, but in all actuality, you're bugging the crap out of me. Yes, I'm good in school. Always have been. And yes, I'm a darn good writer. But seeing as I spend a great majority of my time practicing such a skill, I should be pretty darn good.

Just because I do something well doesn't mean I'm some sort of genius or that I hide out in my bedroom all afternoon reading dictionaries. I pay attention, that's all, and I'm not an idiot.

Thanks, but no thanks. I'll take praise when I've really and truly earned it.

3 comments:

Ammietia (a girl you once knew) said...

That happens to me at times too. And I like compliments, at times. When I've actually done something worth a compliment, and I hate it when people over react.

And something not to do with compliments, is when, in some classes I'm just not talkative and I don't usually answer questions or am able to get a word in edgewise,I actually have an opinion and everyone fake-gasps and is like "She spoke!" Really, I speak a lot, maybe I don't have much opinion on the latest topic of the class, but get over it!

~Ammietia

Anonymous said...

I get it and because of the way peope react i have now stopped answering things in class and no way will i get up in front of people that i have to deal with everyday and let them know what i am thinking or reading them something personal that i wrote

hannyloulou said...

Let me just say how with you I am on that one: Entirely.