"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Honey, I'm Home

I'm home!

This week was awesome. Now I'll finally be able to remember DC and Williamsburg [instead of vague flashbacks that are almost always inaccurate]. And spending time with family is always a plus, of course.

After a very active month of July, visiting both coasts of the U.S. and the other side of my own state, I am prepared for relaxation. I'm tired. I'm ready to sit around and just do nothing. With, of course, the colossal exception of the tedious summer homework my teachers find it so tempting to assign...

But as I lay myself to rest in this glorious kind of nothingness, I remember to be thankful for the traveling I get to do. I'm only sixteen--most kids my age haven't seen as many places as I have. I'm one of the lucky ones, one of those kids who sees it all. I've been all over the nation, and even beyond the borders, and I don't regret any vacation I've ever taken. I'm thankful for the parents and friends who have made my travel possible.

Let's face it: Once I graduate, all that traveling is over. Finito. Complete-o. I have to become an adult, with real responsibilities and real worries/cares. Like a job. Ugh.

Here's to travel, to sightseeing, and being THE best [and most embarrassing] tourist to tread about the planet. Hear, hear!

No comments: