"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Friday, May 11, 2007

Fatigue?

I never wish to see the words "AP United States History Exam" again in my entire life.

Gah. I looked at it again. Still doesn't make me hate it any less. Honestly, I cannot "get into" history. Sure, it's exciting. Yes, it's life-changing to learn. But can I master it? Apparently not. [Special thanks to a certain eighth grade teacher for managing to pound a few good points into my head... like Hamilton v. Jefferson and all that Civil War info. And my tenth grade one did a good job too, with all the random other stuff we learned...]

I can learn it if I can relate to it. That's why I'm such a science geek--I see it everywhere, all the time. But the Wilmot Proviso? The Roosevelt Corollary? No way. Out of my league. There are a few events I can jump into--like Hamilton and Jefferson. That's probably because my ancestor shot Hamilton. Probably.

So anyway... No me gusta. No, no, no, no, no me gusta. And now, as a result, I'm really, really tired.

Which probably has something to do with the crazy powers and seeing dead people.



[dramatic pause]



Yes, I said it. Seeing dead people. And crazy powers. It all started yesterday, while we studied for the exam. Eddie, Lyrika, and Debbie--my supernatural chicas--were at my house, and we were talking about "special powers," leading inevitably to Eddie and I confessing our secret abilities that go beyond normal human behavior. Then the other two confessed to theirs, and we found ourselves freaks among freaks.

It was nice.

Instead of hiding our "powers," we decided to enhance them. Yes, we now sound crazy, I'm aware. But it was freaking cool. We're going to meet on every full moon [and possibly every new moon] to share the freakness and just be ourselves for a night. In the meantime, we'll work on managing our abilities, controlling them for our own benefit. It will be difficult, but very fun. And very rewarding.

Now that I sound like a lunatic, let me add on. Today I saw a dead person. Is that weird? Yes. They sat on a bench, glared at me while wearing all black, and took off running, disappearing from my sight. They were not friendly. My blood ran cold and my adrenaline went nuts.

Eddie and I are currently discussing these matters, concerned for our sanity as well as our abilities. Are we crazy? Are we "different"? Or are we simply exhausted? No way to tell.

I sure hope I'm not crazy. The voices in my head would be offended.

No comments: