"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Pseudonyms

As a writer, I have come to respect the value of pseudonyms for an author (and anyone else who wishes to remain anonymous).

But does everyone else understand?

In this post, I shall explain why I chose my pseudonym and what it stands for. I will also explain why I used a pseudonym in the first place.

As expected, my real name is not Abigail Morgan. Shocking, eh? Alas, I refuse to put my real name in this blog. For multiple reasons.

First, safety. Internet is now its own world, with its own liabilities. My name stays off of this.

Second, detachment. If I was to put my own name in here, it would be just like journaling, and I've grown sick of the normal "diary" scenario when writing. I wanted something new. Now when I type, I can become Abby Morgan. I am Abby. Not in a schizophrenic way... It's just like becoming your actual self instead of what everyone else sees.

Third, fun. I like being called Abby because it's different and just fun. It's like an adventure, changing your name and adopting a personality.

Now about the name itself:

A dear friend of mine and I were once just kidding around and we changed our names. I was Abby. Now it has stuck, and there's no way it will ever change. Inside, I feel like an Abby. Kinda like meeting a little kid named Theodore. It's hard to call a little boy Theodore, so in your head, he's Teddy. It sounds strange, but you probably do it too, subconciously.

And Morgan? In one of my favorite movies, "The Prince & Me" (yes, I know, chick flick), the main character is Paige Morgan. After watching her life unfold in the film so perfectly, I decided to take on her last name so maybe I'll be a princess too...

So there you have it. Abigail Morgan, aspiring scientist, author, and young thinker, creator of an online post that you apparently read. Now you understand. :D

~Abbs

No comments: