"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Monday, October 2, 2006

Play with the Hand(s) You're Dealt


That title is meant to be taken literally and figuratively.

Figuratively, it's another "take life's challenges" quote.

Literally, it's my life story.

Unfortunately, I was cursed with incredibly short fingers. Abnormally short. I mean, I'm short height-wise too, but this is just another extreme.

But, unlike most short-fingered people, I play the piano.

It has taken me years to get to the range I'm at today. 9 keys comfortably, 10 at a stretch. It's kind of pitiful, but considering that I have dwarf hands, I find it funny.

About hands... they're really interesting. Often times I find myself watching my own hands play the piano when I'm going through a song I know well enough to not have to think about. It's amazing to see my own hands, my own fingers, thinking for themselves.

Each finger has a personality. The thumb is like the commander of them all, short and in charge. It is the strongest finger and the one I can always count on to land a particularly hard jump to a note.

The index finger is the big, oafish outcast who tends to fall on the wrong notes all too often and make things sound bad. I really don't like it.

The middle finger is second in command, the second-strongest. It usually dictates my direction and flow in a piece.

Ring finger is the third strongest, but kind of shaky. I have to actually warm this one up before I play, or else he's useless.

Pinky? The weak runt. It is completely useless if I am tired or caffeinated; it seems as if exhaustion and stimulation reside within him, making anything I attempt to play highly disturbing and odd. In the first book I ever learned from, there was a song called Crack the Whip that was meant to strengthen the little finger. Let's just say I battled that song for too long and eventually just moved on.

So that's my thought(s) of the day. Hands. They seem so extra (hence the word "extremities), so... not vital. But they're really just kinda cool. Like having ten little people living with you.

That was creepy. I'm stopping this madness before it gets out of hand.

Ha. Ha. Get it? Out of hand...

Somebody stop me.

Abby<3

No comments: