"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Friday, August 22, 2008

Whimsy

I bought a ring today. I'm not usually an impulsive person [too practical, gosh darn it] but on a total whim I went to the mall by myself and bought shoes, rings, bread, and ice cream.

The bread was free [courtesy of my employee card], the ice cream was a gift for someone else, the shoes were necessary, and one of the rings was 1/2 off because of a sale [why not?].

But the other ring--my favorite of the two--was a completely impulsive purchase. I don't need another ring. I honestly had no reason to buy it. Yet I did.

It's silver [always silver for me], and is simply three thin silver strands braided around my finger. It's not even real silver--I love cheap jewelry--and probably will be bent out of shape within the next two months.

And I can be confident that it'll be bent because I intend to wear it as often as possible.

It's on the third finger of my left hand, the finger that I normally use for rings just out of habit [most comfortable, least irritating]. But this one means more than the others have.

One strand for who I used to be. One for who I now am. And the third for all the lifetime that connected the two.

It's me being intertwined with my own life, immersing myself in all the little twists that have altered me so completely. Finding reality has consumed my life for so long now... I feel like I'm married to it, to that whole concept.

So on my left hand this ring will stay. I'm married to this reality until someone comes along and offers me a better one.

A better reality, and perhaps a more expensive ring...

No comments: