"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Friday, March 2, 2007

The Best of Times [for me, anyway]

Today was an amazing day for me, so I felt like posting. A day like today deserves to be put into words, and it may bore you, but it means a lot to me.

Let me start from the beginning [5:23 AM]. My alarm was somewhat quieter this morning, less like an ambulance siren and more like a gentle beeping; I got a decent amount of sleep, an unusual occurence for me, so I woke up feeling, well, awake. My hair cooperated and my iPod didn't take too long to load, so by the time I got to the bus stop I was in a good mood.

I didn't slip on the ice like I usually do as I approached the bus, and the driver didn't try to kill us all as she normally does with her loose interpretation of "safe driving." She drove perhaps only 15 mph over the speed limit and actually used the brake on turns. :D

The lock didn't give me a hard time at my locker, and I got to see almost all of my friends before the 2-minute bell rang and I had to go to first hour. Surprisingly, my parenting class wasn't terrible today, and even my second hour Algebra II wasn't boring. Things were looking up as I trudged to Chem.

Of course, we were doing a lab today [when aren't we doing a lab??] and I was put in a good group. Though there was a slight incident involving pants and fire, all was well. We had fun. And that's really all that matters, right? Right...

Fourth hour Honors English was fun--we had an enormous, all-hour class discussion as a pre-reading technique for Brave New World. I came up with TWO logical arguments [I'd like a round of applause, if you will] and actually found a way to get the words out of my mouth AND have them make sense at the same time. I was proud.

Spanish was, well, Spanish. Easy. And AP History was actually interesting. I left my sixth hour with only one subject of homework, and once again I was in a good mood.

The usual "freshmen posse" that convenes near my locker [and drives me absolutely insane] was gone, and I caught my bus with time to spare. I ended up with a window seat, the ideal seating arrangement for me. I hate being on the aisle.

It seemed as if the driver had forgotten her laid-back driving this morning, so she revved up the engine and took off onto the main road, leaving us two options: 1) hang on and pray that you or your books won't go flying across the way, or 2) not hang on and pray that you'll make it anyway. I hung on. There is an art to such "hanging on" but that will have to be saved for another post.

But my good mood could not be killed--I walked around the short block to my home and got the mail. Of course, a never-ending supply of letters from colleges I've never even heard of came pouring from the mailbox [how do they know me??], but I managed to balance them all without dropping a single one. And I got a nifty poster from Duke. Not that I'm going to Duke, but I like posters.

Oh, and as a side note: exactly one month until my birthday. :D

I came inside, let my dog out into the backyard, checked my email [only ONE spam letter to delete!], and now I'm sitting here, eating Doritos and posting.


All of my happiness today may seem strange to you; why would anyone be happy over such trivial events? Well, I am. I'm happy. Nothing seemed to go wrong today, and I'm so excited for DI regionals tomorrow I could run around screaming.

Which I might just do next [after I do another post about the art of bus riding & other skills]. If you're driving by my house in awhile and hear a blood-curdling shriek, don't worry. It's just Abby.

Hope your days were as good as mine :)
~Abbsigail

No comments: