"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Monday, October 20, 2008

Maybe There's Something in the Fall

Your smile... Well, it kills me, because it's the same one I used to wear. And I know it's not right, it's not pretty, and it's never fair, but it's true.

And the truth will set you free. Maybe.

I walk with you in strange places we've never been yet know to perfection, with winding roads that lead to vacant valleys and shallow hollows with sighing leaves. There's a crackle on the sidewalk, and a snap to the footsteps, and it makes my heart sink into my chest.

It's almost here.

Icicles close in, though I know it's far too warm. Your breath is hot and I'm shivering without a coat. Some days I smile, some days I laugh. Most days I sigh. My hands are trembling, but not from fear or joy--just from going through the motions.

That's what they said. Run through those damn motions.

It's almost here.

Plastic or paper matters little, because we'll all be trapped in ice sooner or later. Probably sooner. Your breath is frozen, steam turned to icicles, dripping from your lips. I'm entranced by the image of you, ghostly white, falling, falling, falling...

Falling faster, faster faster. Falling still. Colder than the deepest hell.

Somebody killed beauty while she slept up in that silly tower.

She's vanished.

It's here.

No comments: