"She's in love, and the world gets blurry
She makes mistakes, and she's in no hurry to grow up
'Cause grownups, they don't understand her
Well it's a big, big world out there, but she's not scared...
She finds hope in the strangest places
She reads her books, and she knows the faces
Of everyone that ever said she's alone
She knows every word to the saddest songs
And she sings along, though her friends all tell her
That she can't sing...
She's eighteen, much too young
To know what a kiss like that would mean
But her lips, they were no stranger to the touch
And she likes it way too much."
--Mayday Parade, So Far Away

Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Sixteen Candles [Make Me Smile]

Yesterday was my sixteenth birthday. April 2, 2007. Most amazing day of the year. Mark it down.

And let me tell you, it was the best birthday yet.

Let me begin with Saturday, March 31st. I get all dressed up and sparkled because I think that a few of my friends are taking me out to dinner. Everyone I could've possibly wanted to see was there, and we ate and talked and laughed as friends do. Even a dear friend of mine who lives quite far away made the journey, and I was highly honored--such a great friend. :) All went well. Someone tipped off the waitress of the occasion, of course, and I hid my face as they sang some obnoxious song that humiliated me beyond reason. Minor drawback. I could deal.

So then we leave the restaurant. I think that we're going to little sister Kailey's house just to "chill." I have no idea that my nearest and dearest bunch have transformed her basement into a full-blown party.

I walk in and stupidly look at the shoes. I know all of those shoes, so I know who's there. Yet it still doesn't click, and I wander innocently down the basement stairs to find my best friends in the whole world waiting to ambush me with decorations, balloons, gifts, cupcakes, candles... Everything.

Even my mom was there, called in at the last minute to take a picture of my face as I slipped into shock. Which, of course, I didn't handle very gracefully. I'm not one for grace.

I nearly cried tears of joy when I saw the people, the atmosphere, the whole shebang--it was absolutely perfect. In every way. I cannot even begin to express my gratitude to those guys and girls I call brothers and sisters... They made this a birthday I won't ever forget.

Even the smallest details were to perfection--cupcakes exactly the way I like them [yellow cake with chocolate frosting], Pez in a bowl, bright colors and lots of music. They know me, and they know me well. And I love them dearly.

So last night, my family took me out to dinner. Red Lobster. Of course, I got my usual, and I tormented my poor grandparents by waving the crab legs at them. Very comical. Slightly cruel, but comical nonetheless, and I was forgiven. :)

I would like to take this moment to recognize the fact that I finally finished an entire Red Lobster meal in one sitting yesterday, a feat I've never accomplished before. I felt like crap afterwards, but it was worth it. So worth it.

Here's to you, my family and friends, the people that make my life worthwhile. There aren't enough words to express the love, the laughter, the tears... Anyway, enough sappy. I love you guys.


Have a wonderful Easter, everyone. Don't eat that second chocolate bunny. Trust me.
~Abbs is [sixteen, and] OUT.


**Tomorrow is my big brother's birthday [also 16...] so here's some happy birthday for him. :D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was really nice reading your post...and sounds like you had a great day..and well for some more fun and joy you can also visit my blog on Birthday Celebrations sometime and enjoy all that's there!!!